Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Drug and Alcohol Attention Grabbers™ - Personal Testimony

Drug and Alcohol Attention Grabbers™ - Personal Testimony


Over the next few weeks, NIMCO will be sharing some "Attention Grabber™" ideas that you can use in class to help teach about the dangers of drugs and alcohol. The “Attention Grabbers” are designed to assist with teaching and speaking about the adverse effects alcohol and drugs cause to all who are exposed to these addictive drugs. We live in a visual society, making visual aids a needed resource to assist with speaking or teaching thus enabling you to reach your entire audience. The suggestions are designed to assist your alcohol and drug education programs. You may expound upon each scenario as your presentation or speaking time allows. Each “Attention Grabber™” is very cost effective to present with the suggested visual aids to reiterate the information given during your presentation. These "Attention Grabber™" ideas are also great for Red Ribbon Week!

Supplies:
• 1 large piece of cardboard or thin plywood
• Gray and Black Paint
• Small group of silk flowers

Directions:
Take your cardboard and make a tombstone inscribed with a fictitious name and date. Be sure that the date makes the deceased 15 years old. Have all the lights out except a spotlight on the tombstone and sit down on the bench that should be placed beside the make-believe grave. Look out at the audience and start talking as if you are alone and thinking aloud.  

“You know it seems like only yesterday that Ashley and I (use whatever name you have put on the tombstone) went to that party. We were so excited it was our first “real party”. All the popular crowd was there and we couldn’t wait to finally be part of the group. We knew there would be drinking, gee that’s just part of being a teenager. The drugs were different. We had no ideal that drugs would be involved. They started taunting us to have a beer, and we both agreed that one beer was okay, but we pledged we would never use drugs. We really didn’t like the taste, but everyone was drinking and by the time we finished the first one, the second didn’t taste so bad. I really can’t remember what happened for sure after the second beer. It all seems just like a bad dream. I remember that every time we finished one drink someone was handing us another one. Things really get fuzzy after that- until I woke up at the hospital. 

My parents were beside my bed, and I could not remember how I got there. My head hurt so badly, and I was sick at my stomach. I looked around the room and saw monitors, and I had IV’s in my arm. Everything seemed to either spin or move in slow motion. I think I kept asking what happened but when my parents would answer me, I couldn’t understand what they were saying. After about 48 hours, I woke up and feeling better and asked what had happened. My mother told me that Ashley and I had been admitted to the hospital for alcohol and drug overdose. I said that was crazy; I would never use drugs, and neither would Ashley. All we did was drink a few beers and then …..well…I really don’t remember what happened. My parents said apparently we were drunk and experimented with drugs. I just couldn’t believe it, and then I ask about Ashley. My parents became very silent and then told me that Ashley did not survive; the combination of alcohol and drugs that almost killed me …had killed Ashley. 

My life changed forever that night. I will always regret our decision to drink, which altered our minds and our judgment not to use drugs. I come here often because I never want to forget the terrible tragedy that happened to my best friend: who says one drink or just try drugs –just one time–won’t hurt anyone."

Turn and walk off the stage and the lights go black.


 Suggested supplemental materials may be purchased at



No comments:

Post a Comment